Sunday, June 15, 2008

My first Father's Day

I thought I'd pass on a few thoughts on this, my first father's day :-)



It was a great weekend all the way around! Friday nite, Holly and I got to go out on a date, and we saw Iron Man - a film I heartily recommend.



Saturday was a great time celebrating Father's Day early in the EC at my folk's house. My Dad is my role model - if I do half as good a job with Daniel as he did with Valerie and me, I'll be proud. I didn't learn his lessons as well as they deserve to have been learned - indeed, I am still learning - but he taught and continues to teach me the virtues of hard work, honesty, pride in workmanship, and, of course, love. I am proud to say I have always kissed my Dad Hello and Goodbye - even in public. As far as the lesson of organization - I'm sorry, Dad - I still have much work to do!


When I fell off the log bridge at our Scout camp site, Dad basically flew down the hillside - I swear he was there instantly. Or maybe I lost consciousness... no, he flew down that hill.

Dad has taught me to seek out the out-of-the-way places - to appreciate things like the lunch-counter cheeseburger and shake at "Jordan's Hollow" (as opposed to Mc Donald's), twisty, curvy roads, and how to switch lanes instantly.

Dad was in charge of the University of Baltimore's commencement execises for 20 years. Of course, the evening I graduated from high school was also the evening of the University's commencement. And, of course, it was the one year that the Governor was attending U of B's commencement. Dad told me that he would try and make it - that he would leave as soon as the Governor arrived. I told him that it was OK - I understood. Still, I was hoping... the tradition at our high school was that the graduating seniors from the band would play the Star Spangled Banner to start the evening's festivities... so there I am, at 8:03 pm... and in walks Dad. The Governor still hadn't arrived, Mrs. Governor was being a pain, so he ditched her (left her in the company of Dean Hopkins, if I recall) and told her to give the Governor his regards, but he was off to see his son Graduate.

Thanks, Dad!

Today was truly great - like yesterday, I had great one-on-one time with Daniel, and Holly made me a SCRUMPTIOUS dinner. It was really special. I also got a really nice card, and some very special gifts from Daniel and Holly. But the best thing was just being a Dad today - cooking pancakes for THREE and having fun with my boy :-)

Thanks to Greg C. for the shout-out, and Here's to Greg N. - now Daddy of THREE just in time for Father's Day! Greg N., we have you penciled-in for sleep sometime in 2011.

No comments:

About Me

We first heard about Gladney Center for Adoption in January of 2005 when we met with Pastor Stephen and Paula. In March of 2005 we attended an orientation at Gladney in Fort Worth, Texas. We adopted Daniel on September 12, 2007! Now we are waiting for a special child to complete our family.